Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Lovable Lab Ranks #1

But will it last? For the 19th consecutive year, the Labrador Retriever is the most popular purebred dog in America. It is reported that the German Shepherd is quickly gaining ground on the #1 spot. What? Is it the movie Marley & Me? Have people been deterred from the lab after seeing the havoc wreaked in the lives of the Grogans? I'll admit that labs have a predisposition to appear demon possessed. And puppyhood with a lab can be a hell of a ride. But admit, ladies, we all love a little bad boy. Seriously though, with minimal attention, exercise and training most of that behavior can be avoided. Still I ask, "Why?" In my, honestly limited, experience with German Shepherds it seems that most people are still afraid of them or at least have an extremely cautious respect for them. They are listed among the most aggressive dog breeds, as well as one of the breeds most likely to bite. Now, let me say, that I am not a proponent of "bad" dog breeds or even "bad" dogs. I believe that a dog's nurture is more responsible than nature for their behavior. Yes, you can remind me next time my dog takes off for your backyard and won't come back. However, I also believe in a genetic predisposition for certain behavioral characteristics. I am a firm believer in irresponsible pet owners. But back to the question posed. Why are German Shepherds quickly becoming the most popular dog breed? For our safety. Increases in security at airports, government buildings, etc. K-9 units are increasing their numbers. It is kind of sad though that the position of number #1 ranked dog may be obtained because of a threat to mankind. But then again, if there is a threat to man, who better to rise up and defend us than man's best friend? Lab's will always be #1 in my heart. But I will gladly give the title over to those who defend and keep us safe. Here's to our furry friends who serve and have served. Thank you.

If you are interested in adopting a retired military dog click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment