Monday, February 8, 2010

The Loved Dog by Tamar Geller


The Loved Dog: The Playful, Nonaggressive Way to Teach Your Dog Good Behavior by Tamar Geller.

"Tamar Geller's mission in life is to teach her cruelty-free method of "life coaching" for dogs and their people. Her revolutionary play-training uses mutual understanding and respect -- and puts an end to outdated methods that rely on physical exhaustion, choke chains, prong collars, dominance rollovers, or stressful aggression of any kind." read more on the website.

This is one of my favorite books of all, fiction or non-fiction. It is so good. I loved the information. She studied wolves in the wild and teaches you to interact with you dogs in a way that mimics what happens in the pack in the wild. She shows you how to be the alpha leader that they follow because they respect you not because they fear you which makes for a healthier more loving relationship. It was so interesting to see the games played in the wild are all about who is alpha. I really came to respect the way she interacts with the dogs. I've tried her methods and they worked. This is my favorite way to train a dog. It's not the only way and I have trained under other methods, but if given the choice (by the dog's temperament) I would always train with fun. This is the first book that I recommend to people when they ask me how we train. I look forward to other books from her.

No comments:

Post a Comment