Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Art of Racing in the Rain

The Art of Racing in the Rain
by Garth Stein

I just finished the book and am not quite sure what I thought about it yet. I enjoyed the story, I liked the dog. I'm not sure if I liked the book. I know that makes no sense what so ever. Here's the synopsis for the dog lover. Enzo is a dog who tells his master's story. Enzo also watches a lot of television and has learned from a documentary that when a dog dies it is reincarnated into a man. So he spends his life training for the next. He tries to react to situations in a manner befitting a human. However, The Art of Racing in the Rain is not a book about a dog, really. It's a man's story as told by the dog. If you're looking for another Marley & Me, this is not it. For one, it's not funny, at all. It's tragic. Calm down, the tragedy is in the human aspect not the dog. Secondly, it's fiction, thankfully. Thirdly, for me, this book is definitely a boy book. By that I mean it is written for a male audience. Racing in the rain refers to race car driving. Okay, I get that. I understand what he describes and I even learned something. But, for me, I could have used a lot less racing analogies. However, it does represent a dogs life well. After all, we are the center of our dog's world. So if we are a race car driver the dog is probably well versed in the race world. The dog also talks a lot about actors. Yes, the masculine form of the word. As in, famous men who act. He recalls their roles in movies, especially race car movies, that most guys probably remember well but I don't. So the reference to a scene or even quoting the lines, from what to them would be a classic movie, were lost on me. I got the gist, but it didn't speak to my heart. I guess most of the dog stories that I've read were written for an all gender audience or female audience. I wouldn't say that this story line is a typical male story. By it would read well for a man. As with all books, you should decide for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment