|Bradley & Brodie|
So here's what I learned about moving to a new city/state with dogs, really just owning dogs:
- Get them microchipped. It really could bring them Home Again.
- When moving, update your info on your microchip website immediately, it will save so much time if and when you have to make the dreaded call
- Get new tags for their collars with your new phone number as soon as you can
- Get them registered with the city as soon as you can, not only will this be another way to trace them back to you, but it will prevent you from being fined and them from being adopted out or euthanized.
- If they get out, leave the gate to the backyard open while they are gone. If they come home and the gate is closed they may keep wondering. If it's open it'll at least give them a place to go and hide from the view of the street and feel safe. Or come back in the house like ours did.
- Put a lock on your gate. Even if someone isn't going to steal your dogs, you never know when someone may just leave your gate open or a kid walking by unlatches it.
- And lastly, never scold them for coming home. They didn't know they were doing anything wrong. It's natural for dogs to roam. Coming home should always be a good experience.